Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mix and Match Quilting Designs

I love the idea of throwing lots of different quilting motifs together into negative space on quilts.



Here are two little baby quilts I put together using various different motifs. The motifs for some reason took on a beach theme. With shells, swirls, waves, pebbles, ripples and can you spot the attempt at a razor shell type shape?



The thread I used was Sahara Desert King Tut by Superior Threads - which is a variegated thread with the gentle changes of beige tones - simply gorgeous and blended into the linen like a dream. I've come a long way in 6 months from only using invisible thread to using colored threads. I'm becoming braver for sure. I'm starting to notice what some have been saying about using different threads for machine quilting.






AND the great thing about my dainty 12ft Handiquilter Fusion is that you can load two quilts tops at the same time and quilt them as you go - trimming after you have finished. You can tell from the backs that these baby quilts were loaded on side by side. I'm sure some longarm quilter is rolling their eyes at such a no no - but it worked for me .......


The strange thing for me now is when I look at the backs of quilts with utter glee - inspecting and feeling pleased with my balanced tension thinking 'wow I'm actually a real quilter'. And to me - that just seems like the most exciting thing in the world.

I could have quilted this beige on beige for ever and never have got bored. I think I could quilt white thread on top of white cotton and just be happy making endless texture on fabric .... I'm an odd type of bunny I know.


5 comments:

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

As always Rachael your quilting leaves me speechless, simply stunning - Chris :D

Anonymous said...

Love these motifs, great combination!

Barb Neiwert said...

Quilting away to your heart's content - excellent!

Becca said...

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Those are beautiful!