Monday, March 3, 2008

Mother's Day Madness with Sock Monsters

Mother's Day in the UK and the US falls on different days. This year Mother's Day in the UK fell on Sunday March 2nd - and it so happens that my mother is currently visiting us - so it was lovely to be able to celebrate the English Mother's Day with her this year!

Not only did my mother bring over the requested cans of Tesco's value baked beans (call me odd) but she also brought me a craft book called Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks by John Murphy which was quite strange as only the week before I had been given Sock and Glove from the Martha Stewart Show ... something was telling me it was time ... time to make something from socks. Never one to hog all the fun to myself I suggested we should spend the afternoon making sock monsters. Yes - as you can imagine - my mother and my husband were thrilled with this suggestion ... well they couldn't wait to get sewing.

I found some discounted socks at Kohl's ($1 each - bargain) and off we set ... making our sock monsters ...
Finally we finished aren't they sweet!
Introducing Lucky the Dog (Aaron's dog - pattern from Sock and Glove) ...
... Angus the Angry Turtle (my mother's own design) ...
... and the Snuggly Socktopus (my own design).
It really was a fun afternoon and I know my husband scored top points and hundreds of gold stars from my mother and me for joining in so gallantly.

2 comments:

Bumpkin Hill said...

fabulous, what fun - that must have been just the perfect day one to cherish for always :) Catherine x

bettyninja said...

I have to say you have choice socks. Your animals came out darling